Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mayhem at the Movies

So I need you help team. I had a horrible movie going experience last night when I saw Sherlock Holmes. Besides the movie which I won't be talking about I'm going to try to paint you an accurate picture of what occurred. Actually since I don't have any paint or a brush for that matter I'll just tell you.
So I saw this movie last night at a relatively small theater that has 4 dollar movies on Tuesdays. A group of what I would say to be 15-17 year olds sat behind me. I would say about 6 of them. I was just with one friend. So the whole time before the movie they are chatting it up being a little obnoxious, but it's the trailers so I'm not going to say anything. Then the movie begins.
The entire time the movie played all 2 plus hours they are chatting, giggling, at several times people left the theater and returned a little later. They throw popcorn at each other and were all together the rudest people I have ever encountered. Now the way these people talked and acted I would describe as "thuggish".
About 10 minutes into the movie I turned around and said and I quote "Yo, I don't want to be the guy that shhes you the whole movie, but do you mind." Thinking this to be the only way I could try to tell them to shut up. He said immediately "oh yea sorry bro we'll be quiet". This worked for about 20 minutes. Then the same old shit continued the rest of the movie.
Now I know your sitting at home saying oh I would told them to shut the fuck up or this or that, but it's different when you're actually there in the situation so try and imagine it all.
Now I have been thinking of several options of what I could have done. If I turned around and shhed them or said shut up or be quiet or anything like that I can almost guarantee I would have gotten it more 10 fold. "Yo bro this guy is shhing me he said I should be quiet what an idiot."
Another option I get up and tell one of the theater people hey these people behind me are talking can you tell them to stop. Now when the employees are like 17 years old themselves this is kind of ridiculous. Also it just seems juvenile for me to do that. It's like asking your Mom to talk to the bully to ask him to stop bullying you. The bully is going to say ok I'll stop, but then as soon as they leave just harass you more. Also there were no other viable seats to move to. An option I considered early on.
Another difficulty is that they are sitting behind me which is very awkward and difficult to do anything. You are in a dark theater and to turn around you have a very vulnerable feeling I guess I would say by them sitting behind you.
I would also say maybe if I were with more friends I may have been more comfortable to do something, but I really can't say that for sure because again it's always easier to think about things in hindsight.
So I've come to only 2 possible things that can be done in this situation. One is you get up and leave and talk to the ticket people and demand a refund because the kids behind you won't shut up. This is fine I guess. But in this scenario you have totally lost and have been "bitched out" by fucking morons.
The other possibility and it kind of takes a lot of balls. Is to stand up and act like a total maniac. These kids don't know who you are so you can be anyone. So you can stand up and yell something like "If you don't shut the fuck up I'm going to break all of your fucking jaws so you'll never be able to speak again."
The latter of those options is kind of unrealistic to do, but I can see it being the most effective. Either way I felt totally helpless in this situation and it totally ruined the movie which really wasn't that great to begin with.
Maybe I'm missing something, but that's where you guys come in. What do you do in this situation? Please respond in the comments.

Also lastly I want to add that I was sitting sort of far back in this small theater and just assumed that the people behind us were the last ones in the theater. When the lights came on I realized that there were a bunch of people behind them who didn't say a single word the entire time. What the fuck is that all about?

Quote of the Day: Shut your traps and stop kicking the seats! We're trying to watch the movie! And if I have to tell you again, we're gonna take it outside and I'm gonna show you what it's like! You understand me? Now shut your mouths or I'll shut'em for ya, and if you think I'm kidding just try me. Try me. Because I would love it! -George from Seinfeld
Movie of the Day: Moon
Song of the Day: "We Belong To The Music" by Miley Cyrus ft. Timbaland

Oh, and here is some other song I heard in a movie once:

2 comments:

  1. Wow I'm glad my stomach was dead yesterday otherwise you may have been with 2 friends. This is Marc by the way. And I am not a coward.

    Now what you should have done is

    ReplyDelete
  2. stand up and ask them if their seat is taken.

    rinse and repeat.

    ReplyDelete