Sunday, January 3, 2010

Stop It.

For those who do not know, my old blog was entitled "Stop It" (brianthemaster.blogspot.com) and I would find things that I think need to be stopped and write about it. I thought I covered everything, but alas here we go.

People who correct others when they say "I am good" instead of "I am well"...stop it. First of all, don't be that guy. You know what was meant, you don't need to go out of your way to be a tool. Stop it. Now, for those who are not as awesome at grammer as I am let me throw out this little explanation. (I spelled grammar wrong on purpose...what uuuuuuppp!?)

Saying "I am good" is actually perfectly acceptable. The problem is that "good" is an adjective and "well" is an adverb. Therefore, as an adverb (for those who do not know), "well" modifies a verb. So people think that it should be I am well because it is modifying the verb "to be" (am). The verb "to be" is what us in the business call a "linking verb" rather than an "action verb." Action verbs are modified by adverbs, such as well, while a linking verb isn't so much about the action as it is about connecting two words. He feels sick. Feel in this sense would be a linking verb, not an action verb. So you can say he feels sick. He feels good. He is good. I am good. Now, with that being said it is improper to say I write good. Write is an action verb and therefore needs to be modified by an adverb (well) rather than an adjective (good). However, I believe that the word "good" should be allowed to be used as an adverb even if it does not sound good. If a mistake occurs more common than the correct way, then maybe the wrong way should be correct. I'm not saying that we should stop people getting arrested for stealing by making stealing legal, but more like if everyone wants coffee at 5 a.m. then the store should be opened at 5 a.m. even if it is inconvenient for the few that believe coffee should not be drank until 7 a.m. (it's an analogy). Anyway, I digress, the grammar rules are what they are.

Needless to say, those who correct others on their grammar when speaking are tools. No one cares. We live in a world where grammar is pretty much dead. The english language has pretty much been slaughtered by "lol's" and "2nites" and "c u l8r." People text rather than speak. So don't waste your time being a tool and correcting people's grammar, because nowadays it doesn't make you sound smart, it makes you sound behind the times and again like a tool...so stop it.

l8r peeps. im out. ima stop at *$ and by some coff-e. mayb l8r i can get some I&I b4 i fall asleep. c u 2morro.


Song of the Day: "The Passenger" by Iggy Pop
Quote of the Day: "I write good." -briaries

No comments:

Post a Comment